About the Nursing Education Program
In keeping with the mission and goals of the North Carolina AHEC Program, Charlotte AHEC's Nursing Education team provides a broad spectrum of activities which include continuing education, technical assistance, and consultation offered by the School of Nursing at Chapel Hill.
- Provide high quality continuing nursing education programs to meet the educational needs of nurses in our region.
- Offer needed educational programs in the rural areas.
- Coordinate the Regional Nursing Deans and Directors Workforce Group meetings. This group focuses on networking, brainstorming, and sharing current nursing issues.
- Promote the RN Refresher Program to recruit nurses who have been out of practice for at least five years and who are returning to the nursing workforce.
- Continue seeking potential clinical sites to meet the increasing enrollment of RN refresher students.
- Offer preceptor workshops for nurses to enhance knowledge for being effective mentors.
- Assist with the nursing schools in our region to develop grant proposals for expansion of clinical development sites and preceptor development.
- Expand management and supervision courses for nursing leadership to improve the practice environment and retention.
- Facilitate Gerontological Council meetings to collaborate with experts in this area to address the gerontological training needs of our region.
- Promote educational services to meet the needs of the gerontological healthcare providers and to better meet the needs of the aging population in America.
- Participate in activities of the Health Career Summer Camp to promote health careers in middle/high school students targeting economically / educationally disadvantaged and unrepresented minorities. Activities include teaching CPR, teaching students the different medical devices (stethoscope and blood pressure monitor) and providing educational presentations related to the health industry.