Charlotte AHEC's Mental Health Education team provides but is not limited to the following services:
- Assess the training needs of mental health professionals in the region through online needs assessments, workshop evaluations and focus groups.
- Provide a wide array of continuing education trainings that meet the assessed needs.
- Consult with various groups for the creation of effective community-based education and link services to cultivate new ways of addressing the mental health training needs of the Charlotte AHEC region.
- Nurture community collaborations that lessen the social and health impact of violence, poverty, homelessness, racism, addiction, and other community health issues by sitting on community coalitions and boards.
- Link young students with receptive hospital and medical practice settings to develop greater interest in mental health careers via the Charlotte AHEC HEROES Program.
- Support the placement of medical students, psychiatric residents, psychiatric fellows, Physician Assistant students, and Nurse Practitioner students from colleges and universities within North Carolina at the Behavioral Health Center in Charlotte and health care agencies throughout the Charlotte-Mecklenburg region. Clinical experiences are tailored to meet the specific needs of students and residents.
- Bring faculty from around the country, UNC-Chapel Hill and Duke University, and the local community to serve as teaching resources.
- Provide on-site workshops for organizations that have increasing continuing education needs, thereby shrinking education budgets, and limiting staff time. The on-site workshops are tailored to meet the specific needs of the organization.
- Serve on committees and boards to provide continuing education expertise and consultation.
- Develop partnerships with organizations and groups to provide conference planning: management, technical assistance, consultation, identification of distinguished faculty/staff, and continuing education credits for regional, statewide, or national conferences.